The town, which was awarded the orange flag by the Italian Touring Club, preserves an historical center made of trulli, buildings erected with dry stone featuring lime-washed walls and a cone-shaped roof built exposed stones. The top of these particular buildings are often decorated with inscriptions of different shapes painted with lime water and depicting zodiacal or religious symbols.
The church of Saint Anthony and the Trullo Sovrano are both trulli-shaped monuments, evidence of the fact that this architectural style was used both for pagan and religious buildings. The former, characterized by a monumental entrance, consists of a main hall in the shape of a Greek cross flanked by side chapels featuring barrel and sail vaults, while the latter, the tallest trullo in town, is built on two floors and houses a museum.
The most typical parts of the town include the Monti district, comprising 1030 trulli on a hillside; it has some of the oldest buildings still preserving the original features of construction. There is also Aia piccola, with its highly impressive network of narrow and tortuous alleyways. The ‘Monti’ district holds the trulli siamesi, all within one enclosure and each of a double shape, with a low hearth and no windows. The history of these trulli is connected to the eternal battle between love and hate.
Another place of note is the church of San Antonio, in the shape of a trullo, commissioned to repel the approach of infedels. Preceded by a monumental entrance, the main room is in the form of a Greek cross and the lateral chapels are veil-shaped.
The casa dell’amore (the ‘house of love’), built in 1797, is the current base of the tourism office and is the first building in the town to have been made of limestone, as testified in the inscription by the door.
Another place worth a visit is the Basilica minore dei Santi Medici, housing pictures of Madonna di Loreto and the twin saints Cosma and Damiano. The town’s patron saints are celebrated on the 27th and 28th of September, when the faithful enter a frenzy adoring the sacred pictures kept in the church.